From: Andrew <hbrown...@comcast.net>
Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: Starting problems
To: "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" <nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com>
Date: Sunday, December 21, 2008, 1:17 PM

Thanks, I'll try those suggestions.  Since it's running, and actually
pretty decent right now my current focus is going to need to be with
the charging system.
I had a ride planned with a friend of mine for yesterday.  We started
off, rode down the street to a gas station and filled up.  I had
recently had the bike on the charger.

I left the bike running but after I filled it up, I stalled it.
Wouldn't start again until I jumped it.  I got it home and jumped it..
I put a volt-meter on the terminals where the battery terminals bolt
to ( I think its the starter solenoid).  The volt-meter read, while it
was running .. 11.5 volts.  Does that mean the stator is bad?

On Dec 18, 1:19 am, Dennis Hammerl <blues...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> That's a good question and I'll try to answer it without too much
confusion. If you can get the bike to idle at less than 1000RPM, An exhaust gas
analyzer would make this job easy, If they are out too far there will be an acid
odor at the pipes and maybe some dark smoke. If the idle increases as you slowly
turn one in, you're on the right track. As you get it too lean, it will
stumble and drop that cylinder. We want it to run smoothly and respond well from
idle. The factory setting (whatever) is a bit too lean for my liking but the
bike was emission controlled. Another indication of too lean would be a cracking
and popping when closing the throttle from a high speed. I run mine a bit rich
and I can smell it. Faint, but it's there. A simple rule is to adjust each
for highest idle speed (turn the main idle control down if it climbs above 1000,
I go as low as I can keep the motor running) Once you make it happy, turn each
one out 1/8~1/4 more. The trick is
>  to make it idle very slowly so the ONLY source of fuel is that circuit.
Then the adjustments will be most noticeable. A carb sync helps this since
out-of-sync carbs won't allow a slow speed idle. Below a certain point it
tries to idle on less than four and stops. With some delicate carb work, my
friends V-Max will idle at 400 !
> Carb work is not a black art. It requires a working knowledge and being
VERY detail oriented.

<nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com>
> Date: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 7:51 AM
>
> Ok, I'll try turning them down.  What would I expect to see if they
> were not metering anything.  How would the bike react?
>
> A friend of mine gave me this bike so I know he has rebuilt these
> carbs before.  Thats probably when the one screw was replaced with a
> different one and I know that's why most of the rubber in the carb is
> in good shape.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew
>
> On Dec 17, 12:33 am, Dennis Hammerl <blues...@yahoo.com> wrote:>
2 5/8 sounds a little "much" to me. At that setting they

> wouldn't be metering anything, just open. Try 1 1/2 to start. I really
> don't know the exact setting, I always count the turns in to seat
before I
> remove them. put 'em back the same way. It might be in the Honda shop
> manual. For as much as I'm a "by the book" person, results
count
> more. Glad you got it up and running. Learn anything ? Always better when
you
> do.> The odd mixture screw is from an older bike. If you broke off the
caps

> (too easy to do) you would be left with a skinny post. As long as it has
the
> same profile as the others. When I see stuff like that, a red flag goes up
and I
> examine each part for more mods. Somebody else has been here before and I
> don't know what they where up to or how good they were.

 Fired

wrote:
> > > From: Andrew <hbrown...@comcast.net>
> > > Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: Starting problems
> > > To: "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!"
>
> > <nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com>
>
> > > Date: Monday, December 15, 2008, 7:57 AM
>
> > > Can you take a look at this picture and tell me if these are the
idle
> > > mixture screws?  These are what I took off and they didn't
> break.
> >  In
> > > fact, they came off very easy.  They were a little gunky so I
am
> > > soaking them and recleaning everything again.  I'd like to
make
> sure
> > > get everything this time.
>
> > > This link has the picture.
>
> > >http://home.comcast.net/~hbrown159/carbquestions1.jpg
>
> > > Thanks,
> > > Andrew
>
> > > On Dec 14, 4:19 pm, Dennis Hammerl <blues...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:>
>
> > However you get them off, whatever works for you, etc. I remove the
clamps

> > > from the spigots and stick a thin screwdriver under the rubber.
Spray

wrote:
> [...]
carbs

<blues...@yahoo.com>

> > really
>
> > > clean you wouldn't be writing about this. On the plus side,
you
> > don't
> > > seem to be adverse to the labor required. Remove the carb
assembly
> once
> > again.
> > > Do not separate from the "runner" that keeps them
together.
> [...]
blocked.
> > Whatever rust
> > > migrated through the system will be everywhere. Slowly clean all
> passages
> > and
> > > jets that fuel flows through. You'll need cleaning wires,
> pressurized
> > carb
> > > cleaner and compressed air. The idle mixture adjustment screws
are
> the
> > ones that
> > > have the caps on them. They should be removed and blown out
given the
> > nature of
> > > your problem (rust injestion) It is possible to remove the caps
but
> most
> > often
> > > they will break off and leave you with an additional problem. I
> carefully
> > grind
> > > the stop tabs off with a Dremel. Gaining access to the fuel
circuit
> they
> > control
> > > will allow you clean a vital area. When replacing> >  the
idle
> mix
>
> > screws, gently bottom out and back off about one turn
>
> > > as a starting point. The tabs prevented adjustment that would
result
> in a
> > rich
> > > mixture and not comply with EPA. I recently posted the wire
sizes
> required
> > > clean the jets of a 650 (#37 & #115). In the case of a rust
> problem
> > like
> > > yours, I route the fuel line to allow me to use an automotive
fuel
> filter.
> > Find
> > > a place for it. My choice of carb cleaner is Berkbile 2+2 (not
sold
> > everywhere
> > > due to hazard) When working on carbs follow the instructions of
med
> > school;
> > > First do no harm. I might add that you need to verify that the
fuel
> flow
> > from
> > > the tank is adequate. I open the vacuum with a syringe and blow
back
> into
> > the
> > > tank. Rust is among the worst nightmares to deal with. Repeated
> cleaning
> > is not
> > > unknown. Always work on one carb at a time and do not switch
slides.
> In
> > fact I
> > > don't remove them unless I suspect a defective diagphram.
Before
> > installing
> > > carbs, support them in an upright

Better