Here's a short motorcycle tale-maybe something to help break the winter boredom
some of us are experiencing-if it gets too boring feel free to quickly hit the
delete button.....Back in the early 80's my 16 yr old nephew called me and said
he needed someone to take him home because he was starting a new job. His dad
couldn't get off work until the week-end. It was the first week of June, a
Monday if I remember correctly. We live in west central Indiana and he needed
to get back to his hometown of Sullivan, Missouri that was approx 250 miles
away [or thereabouts]. I was driving an old Ford Maverick at the time and knew
there was no way it would make it to MO! I told my nephew [Brett] this and he
instantly said "what about taking the Honda?". He was referring to my Honda V45
750 Sabre.  I reminded him that the Magna was pretty much a "Cruiser" and that
the small seat might be a little uncomfortable on his rear end but he said he
could handle it.  I said okay-to his credit he never once complained [but he
did do a little squirming after 100 miles or so]. We got an early [slow moving]
start at around 6AM, the fog was so thick you could barely see 10 yards in
front of you! The fog quickly disappeared and our speed increased. Cruising at
75mph on Interstate 70! The ride to St Louis was pretty uneventful but I must
admit that seeing the Gateway Arch for the first time was pretty impressive! We
stopped at a local bike shop in St Louis called Donelson's [they're still in
business], I was needing a new helmet and picked out a "Nava" full-face model.
Does anyone remember the Nava? Nice helmet. The guy at Donelson's even shipped
my old helmet home for me at no charge! We arrived at Brett's house later that
afternoon and after visiting with the relatives for a couple of days I headed
back to IN. I chose to stay off the Interstates on the return trip, I remember
going through a little town called "Mexico, Missouri". Always thought that
sounded strange. On my way home I had to stop at one of the local firework
"superstores". With the 4th of July just around the corner I figured some black
cats, cherry bombs, and M-60's might be needed to spice up the occassion.
Crossing the Mississippi River twice was pretty cool, on the way back I
remembered the advice "don't look down". I was glad I remembered! Made it home
with no problems, mechanical or otherwise [Hey, it's a Honda!] Less than 5
months later on a cold Nov morning our phone rang at 5Am-I knew something
wasn't right. Brett's mom was calling to let us know that he had been killed by
a drunk driver while walking along the side of a rural road on his way home
from work-he died instantly. When I often think back on all of the bike rides
I've taken through the years you'll probably understand why my trip to MO with
Brett that summer remains very special to me.  Ride Safe

DON SIMPSON
93' 750 NIGHTHAWK
West Central IN