Rust is caused by moisture in the air against dry metal.

To prevent this from happening, Just keep the chain lubricated with a good
choice of lube. With the bikes that I have owned that were chain driven, I used
something called "Pro Honda chain lube". I would think you can get it at any
Honda dealer.  I have heard of people just dripping motor oil on there chain,
but in my opinion that is just a temporary fix. The lube I use actually bonds
to the metal. I still have a can in the garage and use it for quite a few
different things.

As far as changing sprockets, I think the only thing that changing sizes does
is create quicker acceleration and more top end speed. Alot of dirt bike owners
go to a larger sprocket in the rear and a smaller in the front to achieve this.
Not sure how you want to go but just though I would comment on it. I never
heard anything about increased fuel mileage, but I might be wrong.

One other thing about sprockets and chains. CHANGE BOTH, Chain and BOTH
spockets at the same time to prevent premature wear and tear.

Jeff Rumer
(Magilla)