Hey Dennis,  I'm at the same stage with a NH700 S, and a CB750F.  So,
I'll watch for answers.  I haven't delinked the carbs and don't see
any reason to. If you've got rust in your tank, it at least needs to
be cleaned. It probably needs to be lined.  I did a Suzuki GS450 tank
once.  It turned out okay but was a lengthy, messy job.  The stuff
cost $40 from JC Whitney. Since then I've taken 4 tanks to a radiator
repair shop and they did them for $75.00 each.  I'm glad to pay them
to pressure clean, and line the tanks.  One of them was my CB700
tank. Cleaning the carbs of rust I found to be simple on the CB700
and other carbs, Graham