Congrats on getting the bike running! That's half the battle.

I guess I would tackle gas/carbs next. Was there gas sitting in the tank for
a long time? If so you may be looking at rust which will need to be dealt
with. That can be a lengthy process, but it's necessary. If you research
past message on this group you will find messages from others who did the
same thing.

Paul



On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 9:34 PM, NghthawkLvr <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hey Guys!
>
> I completed my Rebuild Starter project last weekend...
>
> Got the starter put together, and tested (thanks to all of you and
> your advice) and everything seemed great...
>
> Started charging my battery on Tuesday, and went outside to put it all
> together this evening....and guess what?
>
> IT STARTED!!!!!!
>
> I was so happy to hear that 25-year old engine start up!!!
>
> Even though it doesn't sound that great...as far as purring like a
> kitten or anything...but it sounds better than the clickety-clicking
> sound I was getting before...
>
> So...what do you all think my next step should be? Change the oil,
> clean out the carbs...clean the oil cleaner...
>
> Before I installed the rebuilt starter, I sprayed engine degreaser on
> the area around the starter and cleaned the area...then I installed
> the newly rebuilt starter and started her up...well...
>
> the engine does  have a  little knocking sound, and smoke started
> coming from the area where I sprayed the engine degreaser...is this
> normal...
>
> the bike has been sitting, stationary for a long time...it is covered
> with 2 tarps, but a lot of dust has accumulated on it and around it...
>
> so, i've included some before and after pics of the starter...
>
> let me know what you think i should do next...so i can get my bike on
> the road as soon as possible...
>
> thanks...
>
> NghthwkLvr
>
>
>
>
> 24APR09_STARTER.jpg
> 24APR09_STARTER3.jpg
> 24APR09_STARTER1.jpg
> 6MAY09_REBUILD KIT 2.jpg
> 6JUNE09_STARTER PICS 007.jpg
> 6JUNE09_STARTER PICS 006.jpg
> 6JUNE09_STARTER PICS 042.jpg
> 6JUNE09_STARTER PICS 047.jpg
> 6JUNE09_STARTER PICS 051.jpg
>
> These pictures were sent with Picasa, from Google.
> Try it out here: http://picasa.google.com/
>
> >
>

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to