Good advice Paul, Thanks for sharing.....

DON SIMPSON
93' 750 NIGHTHAWK
West Central IN

From: p...@hondanighthawks.net
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 04:06:26 -0600
Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Just back from Minnesota and a motorcycle scare
To: nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com

Hey everyone!

My wife and I just returned from Minnesota where we spent some time with
family. My old brother, who owns and drives a 1985 Yamaha Virago, rode the 100
or so miles from his home to our parent's home to spend some time with us. Last
Sunday evening he decided it was time for him to head home so he started off on
I-90, and got about 15 miles or so when he completely wrecked his bike. He was
following another vehicle (he says not very closely) when both vehicles
encountered a 6 x 6 inch block or wood in the center of the highway. The car in
front of him straddled the block of wood and by the time Steve saw it it was
too late to avoid. He hit it going 70 mph and completely lost control of his
bike.

Amazingly he managed to maintain his grip on the bike and slid (mostly) on top
of it for about 300 feet before coming to a stop. Three motorists saw the
accident and stopped to render assistance, one of whom was nurse, who forced my
brother to sit down while they waited for an ambulance.

The truly incredible thing is that other than some road rash on his left leg
and arm he was completely fine! He was wearing a helmet but he never once hit
his head. He managed to keep his head up during the entire slide, and his
leather jacket and motorcycle boots took most of the abuse. The doctor and
nurses in the local ER where he was treated kept saying over and over how lucky
he was. A wreck of that kind going 70 mph rarely gets you a quick trip to the
ER. More like a couple weeks in intensive care, if not a full blown trip to the
morgue!

My brother's Virago was completely wrecked and unsalvageable. Bummer. It was a
beautiful bike that had been well maintained.
But my brother, who had taken a safety course, was reminded of a valuable
lesson. Don't follow too closely behind other vehicles, because you can't see
down the road far enough to react to debris and other road conditions.

The nice thing about driving on the freeway is that you're in control as to how
much you choose to distance yourself from other traffic. You can slow down or
speed up in order to adjust your position related to other traffic to make sure
you're NOT driving without enough road in front of you to see what's coming
ahead. Had Steve (in this case anyway) given himself more of a buffer between
his bike and the car ahead, the accident most likely wouldn't have happened.
(Conditions where such that it was a clear day and there was plenty of sunshine
and no fast curves or steep hills.) But reaction time is greatly reduced when
you stay too closely tucked up next to traffic. (Steve didn't feel at the time
that he was too close to the car up ahead, because he there were several car
lengths between them...but when you're traveling at 70 mph even a distance of
10 car lengths goes by in a matter of seconds.)

I thought I would share this in the hope that it would sound a warning about
keeping a safe distance ahead and behind. Ride safe everyone!!
Paul