Kim,

Do you think you can substitue the cam cover gasket with silicone sealant?

Larry

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:32:47 -0700
From: kimpadd...@ymail.com
Subject: Re: [Nighthawk Lovers] cam chain noise
To: nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com

It would be best if you can just replace the chain. The removal of the cam
chain requires a complete disassembly of the entire top end. You will need a
new cam cover gasket too. The shop manual is a must. Tip: if you decide to take
this mission on make a cardboard pattern of the top end to keep your bolts in
order. Just mark the outline of the cam layout, label the front and back, and
push the bolts though the cardboard model in the places that they came off of
the engine. Some of the bolts are different lengths and they should be placed
back exactly where they came from. There is a precise method in which the
internal bolts have to be put back on and a torque wrench will be necessary. I
recommend that you read through the entire process in the shop manual before
attempting this to make sure that you know what will be required and that you
have the tools at hand to finish the job. I have cut my own cam cover gasket as
well since they are expensive to buy. It takes time (and a leather punch) but
it can be done. You will want to plasti-gauge your cams while they are out.
That's where I'm at on mine right now. I've been sick so I've put it off and I
had to get back on schedule with this thing. If you need any photos I can send
them. HotrodMamma.