That SAE90 is probably for the reardrive gear. The transmission shares oil
with the motor which certainly does not run SAE90 or 80. Another possible
culprit could be water in the hydraulic lines. If it got cold enough to
freeze it wouldn't be very hydraulic anymore. Flushing and replacing that
might be a good idea too.

-Kyle


On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 9:59 AM, paul mangan <[email protected]>wrote:

>   what is all this stuff about the sae 90 and 80 oil  in the klymer manual
> for the 650 nh sc 83 yet you are saying a 10w/30 oil what is this?fact could
> thy be wrong? ia m experiencing a stiffness re the clutch poor engagement it
> was ok perfect in before quite a cold snap here in ireland  the paint in my
> shed froze  polo
>  *From:* [email protected]
> *Sent:* Monday, January 17, 2011 10:10 AM
> *To:* Digest Recipients <[email protected]>
> *Subject:* [Nighthawk Lovers] Digest for [email protected] 
> 17 Messages in 5 Topics
>
>    Today's Topic Summary
>
> Group: http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers/topics
>
>    - Cold weather clutch problems! <#12da0b32f96e06a1_group_thread_0> [6
>    Updates]
>    - For Sale: 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 - 
> $1500<#12da0b32f96e06a1_group_thread_1>[5 Updates]
>    - Supertrapp exhaust for Honda Nighthawk 750 - $300 (Manassas 
> VA)<#12da0b32f96e06a1_group_thread_2>[1 Update]
>    - Interesting way to add a backrest <#12da0b32f96e06a1_group_thread_3>[1 
> Update]
>    - Selling my 1984 cb750s nighthawk 
> cheap<#12da0b32f96e06a1_group_thread_4>[4 Updates]
>
> Topic: Cold weather clutch 
> problems!<http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers/t/f37d96c36482df76>
>
>    AustinPothast <[email protected]> Jan 16 06:02PM -0800 
> ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    Hey hey riders happy new year and not too long until riding season! I
>    am up here in Michigan and decided to go for a ride today. I started
>    my 85 650 right up today and rode for about 12 miles to a friends
>    house. After dinner and football I tried to ride home and had some
>    troubles. The temperature had dropped to about 12 degrees F (or 20
>    below freezing haha). The trouble was that I couldn't get the clutch
>    to engage at all. I was able to force the gears all the way until 3rd
>    gear before i realized that the clutch wasn"t engaging. The bike
>    starts up and runs fine. Any suggestions? Is it just too cold for
>    the fluids to be working properly or should I be worried about bigger
>    troubles?
>
>    Thanks as always! austinpothast @ yahoo . com
>
>
>
>
>    Javier Garcia <[email protected]> Jan 16 09:20PM -0500 
> ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    What kind of oil are you using?
>
>
>
>
>
>    AustinPothast <[email protected]> Jan 16 06:22PM -0800 
> ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    the oil i'm using is valvoline 20w-50
>
>
>
>
>
>    stanley/ Randolph <[email protected]> Jan 16 08:44PM -0800 
> ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    That oil is too viscous for the temp range.  You need to use something
>    like
>    10-30 instead.  Good choice for a conventional oil, though,  I used it
>    (Valvoline) myself, in my Beetles, but not Hondas, because of the
>    transmission/gear issues.  The gears are cut with much less room where
>    they
>    mesh, because the engine and trans are both lubed with the same oil.
>
>    They didn't change when they started building cars, either, if you note
>    that the
>    manual trans takes 30W, not 90.
>    Or, it used to.
>
>
>
>
>
>    ________________________________
>    From: AustinPothast <[email protected]>
>    To: Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers! <[email protected]>
>    Sent: Sun, January 16, 2011 8:22:50 PM
>    Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: Cold weather clutch problems!
>
>    the oil i'm using is valvoline 20w-50
>
>
>    --
>    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>    Groups
>    "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
>    To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>    
> [email protected]<nighthawk_lovers%[email protected]>
>    .
>    For more options, visit this group at
>    http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>
>
>
>
>    Javier Garcia <[email protected]> Jan 17 12:04AM -0500 
> ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    That is way I asked about the oil. But, would it be that bad? I guess
>    he can
>    try again in when the temperature is a bit higher, and see if the
>    problem is
>    really temp dependent or there is something else.
>
>    Javier.
>
>
>
>
>
>    [email protected] Jan 16 10:15PM -0600 ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    I had to rebuild My clutch-slave cylinder. It was weeping.
>
>    I opened It & it was a milky-honeycomb mess!!!
>
>    Fluid - Beats -Cables
>
>    B-550
>
>    Jan 16, 2011 08:02:52 PM, [email protected] wrote:
>
>    Hey hey riders happy new year and not too long until riding season! I
>
>    am up here in Michigan and decided to go for a ride today. I started
>
>    my 85 650 right up today and rode for about 12 miles to a friends
>
>    house. After dinner and football I tried to ride home and had some
>
>    troubles. The temperature had dropped to about 12 degrees F (or 20
>
>    below freezing haha). The trouble was that I couldn't get the clutch
>
>    to engage at all. I was able to force the gears all the way until 3rd
>
>    gear before i realized that the clutch wasn"t engaging. The bike
>
>    starts up and runs fine. Any suggestions? Is it just too cold for
>
>    the fluids to be working properly or should I be worried about bigger
>
>    troubles?
>
>    Thanks as always! austinpothast @ yahoo . com
>
>    --
>
>    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>    Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
>
>    To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>
>    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>    
> [email protected]<nighthawk_lovers%[email protected]>
>    .
>
>    For more options, visit this group at
>    http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>
>
>
> Topic: For Sale: 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 - 
> $1500<http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers/t/2a44257696355ce>
>
>    Mark <[email protected]> Jan 15 11:26PM -0800 
> ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    I am selling my 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750. We are relocating back east
>    and only have room to take 1 of our two bikes along with us. Sadly,
>    I'll have to let this baby go. This bike is in great condition. It
>    runs great - the previous 2 owners were absolutely meticulous about
>    maintenance and it really shows. I have only add 5,000 miles in the
>    last few years. I've added several new replacement parts like new foot
>    pegs, a windscreen, rear brake shoes, front brake fluid reservoir and
>    all new light bulbs. Also the tachometer on the bike works! (old
>    Nighthawks are notorious for this problem) - just quick soldering fix
>    and now the tach works great! Surprisingly, it has very few scratches
>    and dings (one on the head light and one on the tail pipe) which were
>    there from previous owners. Overall it is a really sharp looking bike!
>    I have never laid this bike down, or dropped it. We've taken numerous
>    trips around California in the past 2 years. This bike has been kept
>    in a garage while I owned it and also the previous owner had kept all
>    his motorcycles in the garage. It was owned by a mechanic for the
>    majority of it's previous life before I bought it and he babied it all
>    its life. The blue book on the bike is around $1970, which is holding
>    pretty good value. There are some upgrades: the seat has been upgraded
>    to a Corbin seat (slightly worn) which is a $300 upgrade from the
>    original seat, windscreen, backrest and luggage rack. You can see from
>    the pictures that it is in great shape. I am pricing it so low because
>    it has a lot of miles 90K, but the bike runs and drives great. Call
>    Mark or Martha if you are interested at 650-209-5023.
>
>    PS: I am throwing in some luggage with the sale also - a small
>    magnetic tank bag and a soft-sided trunk that fits over the backrest.
>    These worked great for me on longer trips.
>
>    Kelley Blue Book link here:
>    http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/1995/honda/cb750-nighthawk-750/238126
>
>    More photos here:
>    
> http://picasaweb.google.com/norillsa/1995HondaNighthawk?authkey=Gv1sRgCMutkN2AqtHxKA&feat=directlink
>
>
>
>
>    AustinPothast <[email protected]> Jan 16 06:32PM -0800 
> ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    90k! it's indestructible! Great looking bike for such an ugly owner (I
>    kid I kid!) Good luck with your sale; where out east are you heading?
>
>
>
>
>
>    Mark <[email protected]> Jan 16 07:24PM -0800 
> ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    Thanks for that interesting reply Austin...but the bike's beauty is
>    the only concern here, really. ;)
>
>    We are heading to Philadelphia, PA - with less material things and
>    more ideas about a new life. It's a promising change for our future.
>
>    -mt
>
>    BTW - here are updated link for pictures:
>    http://picasaweb.google.com/norillsa/1995HondaNighthawk#
>
>
>
>
>
>
>    Mark <[email protected]> Jan 16 07:27PM -0800 
> ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    Also...updated the craigslist posting:
>    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/2163014994.html
>
>    Thanks,
>
>    -mt
>
>
>
>
>
>    Javier Garcia <[email protected]> Jan 16 10:48PM -0500 
> ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    Hey Mark,
>    I wish you well in your new home. Philly is not very far from here
>    (20902),
>    so we might see each other eventually.
>
>    Javier.
>
>
>
>
> Topic: Supertrapp exhaust for Honda Nighthawk 750 - $300 (Manassas 
> VA)<http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers/t/8573579eaf9f15dd>
>
>    Javier Garcia <[email protected]> Jan 16 08:38PM -0500 
> ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    In case somebody likes it:
>
>    http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2161615034.html
>
>
>
> Topic: Interesting way to add a 
> backrest<http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers/t/37f94daae4129c5>
>
>    Allen <[email protected]> Jan 16 02:24PM -0800 
> ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    Looks like a stock one to me.
>
>
>
>
> Topic: Selling my 1984 cb750s nighthawk 
> cheap<http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers/t/f75e028f18c7d1f1>
>
>    Vince Winters <[email protected]> Jan 16 06:21AM -0500 
> ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    Now that price is not set in stone I am very flexible I started high so
>    I could come down what might you be willing to pay? ( not holding you to
>    anything )
>
>    Sent from my iPhone
>
>
>
>
>
>    Vince Winters <[email protected]> Jan 16 06:22AM -0500 
> ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    Sent from my iPhone
>
>
>
>
>
>    Vince Winters <[email protected]> Jan 16 06:23AM -0500 
> ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    Sent from my iPhone
>
>
>
>
>
>    paul annen <[email protected]> Jan 16 08:04AM -0500 
> ^<#12da0b32f96e06a1_digest_top>
>
>    looks good... but my buddy in cheverly said that he would kill himself
>    on a
>    bike.. so il keep asking around, my other guy up there is hard core
>    victory
>    and wouldn't do his own work on it...
>
>
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [email protected]<nighthawk_lovers%[email protected]>
> .
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [email protected]<nighthawk_lovers%[email protected]>
> .
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

Reply via email to