Glad to hear you are fairing well. Be wary of living with the Girlfriend,
that's how they rope you in. ;-)
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: "Dennis" <den...@samadhisoft.com>
Sender: nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 20:17:04
To: <nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] News from Christchurch

Night Hawkers,  let it be known that one of your own in Christchurch, the
shaky city, has returned to the Internet airwaves.

You've already heard much the news from down here about the earthquake and
about what specifically happened to me (many thanks Graham for passing the
news onto the group).   It was an amazing and scary experience.

So, a week later, here's a summary:

I think my apartment building will be condemned along with everything in it.
The good news is that I was able to pull most of what was important to me
out of there.   An, that included my second Nighthawk.   It was down in the
parking garage and was thrown over on its side from the center stand.   The
right handle bar is up maybe two inches.  It's drivable but looks a bit
weird.   It started right up though <smile -what else would we expect?>.

So, I've gotten most of my stuff out and my two beloved bikes (85' and 86'
700SC's).   I've shifted to my girlfriend's house and we've decided to give
living together a go (which I'm very happy about).    My workplace is still
down but they're setting up temporary offices and should be up and running
within the week.

The government here is very progressive and they've got various programs to
help folks who haven't a place to stay or who've lost their employment.
Their emergency services for this sort of thing are amazing as well.
Search and Rescue crews who've come in from Japan, the US and other
countries have commented that the civil defense organization they
encountered here is the best they've ever seen.

That said though, things are still a mess.    A city of 300,000 and as much
as 50% or the buildings in the central business district may be taken down.
A huge area is off limits and ringed by police and military.   55,000 out of
work due to the closure of the central city.  Death toll will probably
exceed 200.   Two major buildings just pan-caked and the tallest building in
the city, a 26 story hotel, has a serious lean and will have to be taken
down.

I was deeply impressed by everyone's concern here when I was finally able to
log on and get my E-Mail.   Thanks, Night-Hawkers, it made me feel good to
see all the comments and offers of support.

They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  Well, here's hoping
that's all true.  It's been and interesting week and then some.

Cheers, my friends, and thanks,

Dennis G.