On my 83' 650 I had a similar problem, the rear brake was locking up on me.
I think it was the return spring but sold the bike before I had a chance to
really dig in. yours sounds more like a transmission though. I would inspect
all parts associated with the gear selector before opening up the
transmission case. One of the joints could have seized and locked the bike
in gear.