Jason,
           Glad to know that all has ended well.
           We have all been bit by the 'DUH' problems occasionally -no
shame - no harm done. It happens to all of us. I really screwed up my
Dad one day (a 30+ year veteran motorcyclist) by turning the tank
valve off on his Harley. Oh Didn't I laugh.
           Quick question - what exactly does your e-mail address mean?
          -Joey (Mainah and Proud!)


On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Jason <[email protected]> wrote:
> Well, I got it fixed in spite of the fact that I am a moron and didn't
> follow the keep it simple stupid rule. It was in fact a bad bulb. I
> had put new turn signal stems on the bike all the way around and it
> turned out that the one the sent installed in the left front one was
> bad. Once you all clued me in to the fact that it was not supposed to
> have running lights on the rear I realized that the problem was with
> the left rear side since it was lighting. So, I started trouble
> shooting that today and found out I was not getting continuity on that
> side after checking the switch and everything else. Then I finally
> pulled the cover off the left front turn signal and when comparing it
> to the left realized that both filaments were not lighting on the left
> hand side. So I replaced the bulb with a new one and everything works
> as it should now. Both filaments were there, so the bulb was not
> visually blown, but the one filament did not light. Apparently the
> filament must have been bad even though it was intact and was allowing
> full voltage to be conducted to the left rear turn signal all the
> time. I feel quite stupid now, but extremely happy that I finally
> found the cause. Now, if I can just get it put back together, talk the
> wife into letting me get some more new parts for it, and fix the dent
> in the tank all will be well. Thanks to all of you on here for letting
> me know that it was not supposed to have running lights on the rear
> and thereby putting me on the correct path to looking for the problem
> on the left.
>
> On Apr 1, 9:16 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> check to see if you have lights with the switch.... Eliminate other 
>> possabilites
>>
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> Date: Friday, April 01, 2011 10:09:30 am
>> To: "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" <[email protected]>
>> From: "Jason" <[email protected]>
>> Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: Signal/Running light problem
>>
>> Well, it seems that you were all correct in that the rear lights are
>> not supposed to act as running lights. I opened the turn signal
>> switch, which was new right before this last deployment, and tested it
>> for continuity. So far I have continuity(0 ohms) when checking the
>> right side with the switch in that position. I get about 14 ohms when
>> checking the continuity of the left hand side wires with the switch in
>> the left hand position. To perform these test I disconnected the
>> switch from the rest of the wiring harness at the connector for it and
>> tested continuity there. I am going to open up the switch and see if I
>> can see where the wire for the back turn signal is getting power from
>> the main power line running into the switch assembly. By my reasoning
>> if the left one is staying lit when it is not supposed to then the
>> wire that supplies power to it as a turn signal must be getting power
>> when it is not supposed to and since the switch is showing bad
>> continuity, if I am testing right, then there is something in the
>> switch that is allowing power to go from the power wire for the two
>> fron lights to the left rear. Hopefully, this turns out to be what the
>> issue is and if so I owe you all a debt of gratitude for pointing out
>> to me that the rear turn signals are not supposed to act as running
>> lights. Just irritated because this switch was new when I installed it
>> and it came with it's own wiring harness and connector, which would
>> mean that the manufacturer screwed it up.
>>
>> On Apr 1, 7:51 am, Theodore Abbott <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > if you have a voltage reading before the bulb like on the wire itself the
>> > the resistance is to high it gets higher as it heats up i would look for a
>> > dio switch in line with the light, also check for continuity by un-plugging
>> > the wire harness on both sides with no loads in the harness the ohm's
>> > reading should be 0 to .0002 ohms if you have 12V and say 3ohm's you should
>> > have = 4 Amp's
>>
>> > On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 9:47 PM, axl498 <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > > Well, let me know if you figure something out before I do. If yours is
>> > > intermittent I would suspect a bad wire somewhere. As wires heat up it
>> > > effects their ability to conduct electricity and there could be a
>> > > short somewhere. I have a friend who is an aircraft electrician coming
>> > > to look at it next week hopefully, so I'll keep tinkering with it in
>> > > the meantime and see what happens. Good luck to you.
>>
>> > > On Mar 29, 7:32 pm, Sean <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > > > Jason,
>>
>> > > > I'm having a similar problem with my front right light on my 96 750.
>> > > > The bad news is that it's intermittent. I'd say it's lite about 50%
>> > > > of the time. The turn signal works fine, just no front light. I
>> > > > switched the bulbs as well. I haven't gone to your level of checking
>> > > > it out yet - you gave me some ideas.
>>
>> > > > On Mar 29, 6:12 am, Jason <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > > > > Already eliminated the bulb as the source of the problem. I took the
>> > > > > bulb out of that side and installed in left side and bulb worked 
>> > > > > fine.
>> > > > > I basically have my entire wiring harness torn apart right now and
>> > > > > think that I have a short/current bleed off at some point. The way 
>> > > > > the
>> > > > > wiring harness is you have a light blue wire coming out of the turn
>> > > > > signal switch (which has correct voltage) and a light blue wire 
>> > > > > coming
>> > > > > out of the turn signal indicator light(also correct voltage). They
>> > > > > join together and run back to the right rear turn signal. With the 
>> > > > > two
>> > > > > wires connected together I have correct voltage where they join. As
>> > > > > soon as I connect the wire for the right rear light I get a voltage
>> > > > > drop at the connection of about 8 volts. I checked everything on the
>> > > > > left hand side and at that connection there is no voltage drop. This
>> > > > > leads me to believe that the wiring inside the stem itself is bad
>> > > > > since the significant voltage drop occurs when it is connected.
>> > > > > However, if you disconnect that light and reconnect it to the left
>> > > > > side leads it lights fine, which means that it cannot be the light
>> > > > > assembly itself. My next thought was that the ground for the right
>> > > > > hand light might be bad, but since the left and right hand side 
>> > > > > lights
>> > > > > share the same ground that does not seem possible. So, at this point 
>> > > > > I
>> > > > > am trying to figure out why I have voltage until I connect the light
>> > > > > itself. It seems that would indicate the light itself is shorting 
>> > > > > out,
>> > > > > but as I said, if I disconnect the right hand light assembly and
>> > > > > connect it in place of the left hand it works fine. So, now I am 
>> > > > > going
>> > > > > to try to find the problem by isolating only the wires connected to
>> > > > > the right hand side lights and test the continuity of them if I can
>> > > > > figure out how to do that and in a logical manner. Anyone have any
>> > > > > more input or are there any electrical engineers out there who have a
>> > > > > 95 Nighthawk or the wiring diagram in front of them?
>>
>> > > > > On Mar 29, 10:53 am, Joey Kelley <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > > > > > Depending on how you tested the bulb - it is possible that you
>> > > > > > confirmed, not denied, a blown bulb. But I would echo the crowd and
>> > > > > > suggest trying a different bulb in the same socket before I went 
>> > > > > > too
>> > > > > > much further.
>> > > > > > The 450 NH doesn't have running lights on the rear, just the
>> > > > > > taillight, but I don't have first hand experience on the newer
>> > > models.
>> > > > > > -Joey
>>
>> > > > > > On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Timothy Stark <
>> > > [email protected]> wrote:
>> > > > > > > Allen is right, you probably have dual element bulbs and one of 
>> > > > > > > the
>> > > elements
>> > > > > > > have blown
>>
>> > > > > > > On Mar 29, 2011 10:07 AM, "Allen Thomas" <[email protected]>
>> > > wrote:
>> > > > > > >> Swap the bulbs or replace them?
>> > > > > > >> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
>>
>> > > > > > >> -----Original Message-----
>> > > > > > >> From: Jason <[email protected]>
>> > > > > > >> Sender: [email protected]
>> > > > > > >> Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 05:46:23
>> > > > > > >> To: Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!<
>> > > [email protected]>
>> > > > > > >> Reply-To: [email protected]
>> > > > > > >> Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Signal/Running light problem
>>
>> > > > > > >> I have a 1995 Nighthawk 750 and the right rear running 
>> > > > > > >> light/turn
>> > > > > > >> signal no longer acts as a running light, meaning that it only
>> > > comes
>> > > > > > >> on when operating the turn signal. I know that many people say
>> > > that
>> > > > > > >> they nighthawks are not supposed to have running lights, but 
>> > > > > > >> this
>> > > one
>> > > > > > >> did when I got it and the other three still function fine. I 
>> > > > > > >> have
>> > > a
>> > > > > > >> haynes/chilton manual, but it doesn't really give me any info on
>> > > > > > >> troubleshooting the lighting. I have already checked the bulb 
>> > > > > > >> and
>> > > made
>> > > > > > >> sure the short is not in the light stem itself. The problem does
>> > > not
>> > > > > > >> make sense to me because the right front and right rear have all
>> > > the
>> > > > > > >> same connections (ie. turn signal switch, signal indicator, 
>> > > > > > >> signal
>> > > > > > >> relay) except for where their power wires split and go to the 
>> > > > > > >> back
>> > > of
>> > > > > > >> the bike. This wire has power when I disconnect it from the 
>> > > > > > >> right
>> > > rear
>> > > > > > >> turn signal, but won't light it once it is connected. When I 
>> > > > > > >> swap
>> > > the
>> > > > > > >> actual rear right and rear left light stalks (moving the left to
>> > > the
>> > > > > > >> right and vice versa) the light that was on the left and is now 
>> > > > > > >> on
>> > > the
>> > > > > > >> right no longer works and the light that was on the right and is
>> > > now
>> > > > > > >> on the left works. Anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>> > > > > > >> --
>> > > > > > >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the 
>> > > > > > >> Google
>> > > Groups
>> > > > > > >> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
>> > > > > > >> To post to this group, send email to
>> > > [email protected] Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> [email protected].
> For more options, visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>
>



-- 
-Joey Kelley
JoeyKelley.com - My Life Online
JoeyFixesComputers.com - Its What I Do!
JoeyKelleyPhoto.com - Photographing Today, For Tomorrow

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

Reply via email to