Well, I managed to get a couple things accomplished, despite less than stellar luck on the retail end of things.
Lessons Learned, Thursday Edition: 1) Don't trust "live inventory" for stores, even major ones. Call to ask. The 17mm allen bit that was listed as "in stock" at a local FLAPS was, in fact, in stock... at a warehouse some three hours away. It will be here Friday morning, and I will pick it up before classes. 2) Chain lube: it's not just for chains anymore. I was fighting to get the grips off my old handlebars. On a whim, I pried up a bit of it with the screwdriver, shot a brief squirt of chain lube under there, and the grip practically slid off on its own! Wash with soap and water, and voila, fin. 3) Parts monkeys wanna sell you the expensive stuff. EOS. Sorry dude, I'm not impressed by flash, blingin chrome. Certainly not impressed enough to give you $45 for a pair of grips. 4) Flat black looks /good/ on a set of stock pipes. Oh yeah. That's just /sexy/. It'll look even sexier when the other half of the pipes are painted; I ran out of the right high temp paint! 5) and not related in the slightest to the 'hawk, is thus: Before ordering parts on a pre-loved car, check to make sure that your major bits are appropriate for the chassis number. Tim and I ordered front struts for the Super-B based on the chassis number (A "late '73"). I went to reassemble the front strut assemblies, only to discover that I was trying to put late strut cartridges into early housings. FML. Luckily I'm still a day inside the 30-day guarantee, so the exchange should be simple. Bwha. Oh, and she may be affectionately referred to henceforth as "Madam Bruise." I'm certainly ending up with enough of them because of her (new ones on my ankle, dropped tools while disassembling the handlebars... ratchets hurt when dropped from 4'!) and she's a black and blue colour scheme already... -Kurt -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
