I guess I should post a few pictures to the group.
So here's the link:   http://photobucket.com/my85nighthawk

It's been raining so much here, I haven't had much time to clean
anything up, and since this Nighthawk isn't garaged and just lives
under a cover in the rain, there is a bit of rust poking through, and
I have to do something about the engine paint, which is chipping a
bit.  I have a pretty pristine exhaust set, too, that I haven't
installed.  But here's the bike.   I got the bike with around 9000
miles, and I now have 17700 miles on it.   I ride it to work and use
it for general transportation.   I also have ridden a number of times
from Boston to the Northampton area to see my daughters.   This
summer, if it ever stops raining, I'd like to take it up to New
Hampshire to ride the Kancamagus Highway.   I'm not great with
heights, but that's ok with me.   Not sure about the Blueridge.   But
that's a long way away.

Again, $350 from Craigslist, then replacement of a few things.
1. Front forks
2. Rear shocks
3. Carbs (and new cables)
4. The tank.  (It came with a dented black one)
5. One side cover.
6. Two rubber turn signal standoffs
7. Wheels (got a GREAT deal with two essentially new Dunlop 501s for
around $100.)
8. Instrument shell casing
9. Gear shift lever
10. Handlebars
11. Fork seals
12. Brake pads

The bike had clearly been dropped, but there seemed to be no real
damage

I think my total cost is somewhere between $1000 and $1200.

The hardest thing I did myself was the carb replacement.   It was a
typical event ... if the choke was fully on (it isn't really a choke,
either, since it's just letting in more gas, not blocking the
airflow), it would just barely idle; but give it throttle and it would
just die.   Main jets were blocked.

Matt Temple