Good post Pat.
+1 on the fuel filter, a likely candidate. 
I would think however, that this truck has TBI injection; thus no fuel 
rail/schrader valve. So not sure how to test the pressure other than unhook the 
hardline and connect to a pressure tester.
+1 on adding some more gas as well. I've made that mistake before... :(


On Aug 20, 2011, at 11:05 PM, Pat Patterson wrote:

> There will be a schrader valve somewhere on the fuel rail. ( like a tire 
> valve) if you press that you should get fuel under pressure. With experience 
> you can make a good guess as to how much pressure your getting, but all you 
> really need to know at this point is that your getting fuel. Try and start 
> the truck, but don't let it actually crank more than once or twice. then 
> press the valve, you should have 40ish psi so keep your eyes out of the way. 
> If you get nothing your pump isn't working... diagnose that as needed.  It 
> needs to be in a bath of fuel, it needs electricity, and ground, and last it 
> needs to be able to spin. Clogged lines etc are very unlikely.
> 
> Start by confirming the fuel level in the tank. Do NOT depend on the gauge. 
> Knocking on tank or adding $5 your call.
> Just re-read your post... is there old gas, + a little new gas + seafoam in 
> the tank? If there is only a single gallon of new gas in an S10 and no old 
> gas,  your out of gas, if there is lots of old gas it could be rusted / 
> varnished tight.
> 
> 
> Put a test light on the leads to the pump, have someone watch the light while 
> you turn the key from off to run, wait for a count of 15, you should get 
> power during this, then try and crank. If you get no light during this test 
> check the obvious ie mouse eaten wires etc. After that you need a Chevy guy I 
> have no idea what or how chevy supplies power to their pumps. If you get 
> light but no gas, check the ground. clip your test light to batt pos, then 
> probe the ground wire and go through the key procedure again (some 
> manufacturers switch the ground) If you don't get ground same thing look for 
> the obvious then find a chevy guy.
> 
> If you have power AND ground... nothing good to say here. You're going to 
> have to drop the tank and get the pump in your hands.
> 
> If you get to that point shoot me another e-mail and I'll give you more 
> advice. Most of which you're not going to like much lol.
> 
> More re-reading... Your filter is easy, It'll have flange nuts at each end, 
> use 2 wrenches and undo them, remove filter, blow through filter... You love 
> your truck right ;o) it should have no more restriction than a McDonalds 
> straw. If it's clogged you can use it as a tester by drilling or punching a 
> hole though the filter media and reinstalling. I have a straight piece of 
> tube with fittings for my fords just for this. Don't run it this way for 
> longer than a few min. If it's that clogged it was for a reason. Expect to go 
> through 2 this year if that turns out to be the problem. After that you 
> should be good.
> 
> At 06:22 PM 8/20/2011, you wrote:
>> You could check all the fuses. One may have decided to go. You could pick up 
>> a fuel pressure tester online for about $30 and it'll tell you what kind of 
>> pressure it's generating. If it had a mechanical fuel pump (which it 
>> doesn't) the lines might just be dried up, and the pump lost it's prime. No, 
>> maybe that's a stupid idea...
>> 
>> Can you hear the pump come on when you turn the key? It's a very faint high 
>> pitched hissing sort of sound. If not, you could try to check for voltage at 
>> the sending unit (pump).
>> 
>> On Aug 20, 2011, at 6:00 PM, NghthwkLvr (NL) wrote:
>> 
>> > Thanks Allen...
>> >
>> > Before I disconnect the inlet/outlet lines again, I was wondering if
>> > there was another way to check for fuel flow. As for the fuel pump, I
>> > think i had just had it replaced before I stopped running it. I have
>> > noticed that there is very little to no smell of gas. Also, what about
>> > a thorough cleaning of the fuel injectors?
>> >
>> > On Aug 20, 2:02 pm, "Allen Thomas" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >> Could be the fuel pump, clogged pickup, rusted through lines, etc. 
>> >> Disconnect from the TB and ensure you have flow to it. If not then work 
>> >> your way back to the tank. Otherwise clean the TB again.
>> >> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> -----Original Message-----
>> >> From: "NghthwkLvr (NL)" <[email protected]>
>> >>
>> >> Sender: [email protected]
>> >> Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 11:14:40
>> >> To: Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!<[email protected]>
>> >> Reply-To: [email protected]
>> >> Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] OT - 91 GMC Sonoma PU won't stay on...
>> >>
>> >> Hey Guys!
>> >>
>> >> Haven't posted here in a while but I am always lurking around in the
>> >> shadows, love this group and the interesting discussions.
>> >>
>> >> Let me apologize beforehand for this OT post...but...
>> >>
>> >> I have a 91 GMC Sonoma PU that I want to get running and cleaned up to
>> >> give my son for his 18th birthday and senior year.  It has been
>> >> sitting around doing nothing since 2007 when I got my new to me PU. In
>> >> Sept 08, I started it, drove it down the street, and filled up the
>> >> tank. Then I parked it, and haven't moved it since. Well, earlier this
>> >> summer, I started tinkering around with it to get it running
>> >> again...bought a new battery and all, but it hasn't started.  So I
>> >> proceeded to clean out the gas lines and TBI/Fuel injector assembly. I
>> >> put about a gallon of new gas into the tank and a couple of ounces
>> >> into the TB....and now here is my problem: it only starts and stays on
>> >> until the fuel in the TB runs out...I even put a little SeaFoam into
>> >> the TB and it does the same thing.
>> >>
>> >> I'm thinking, I need to change the fuel filter, which is under the bed
>> >> on the drivers side, BUT, was wondering if maybe there is something
>> >> else I should try before I go through all that trouble. (Changing the
>> >> fuel filter was one of those things that I'd just rather pay to have
>> >> done than do it myself).
>> >>
>> >> Anyway, I have the Chilton Manual for this truck that I'm going to go
>> >> review after I post this, but I just wanted to see if anyone here had
>> >> any suggestions.
>> >>
>> >> Thanks for any suggestions and again, I apologize for the OT post.
>> >>
>> >> -NghthwkLvr-
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>> >> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
>> >> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>> >> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
>> >> [email protected].
>> >> For more options, visit this group 
>> >> athttp://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.- Hide quoted 
>> >> text -
>> >>
>> >> - Show quoted text -
>> >
>> > --
>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>> > "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
>> > To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
>> > [email protected].
>> > For more options, visit this group at 
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>> >
>> 
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
>> [email protected].
>> For more options, visit this group at 
>> http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
> 
> Pat Patterson
> Abbotsford, BC, Canada
> 
> 
> 2001 PT Cruiser
> 83 450 Honda Nighthawk
> 78 F350    460/C6 on propane
> 71 Bronco 302/C4/D20 D44/9"
> 
> 
> Some people try to turn back their odometers.  Not me, I want people to know 
> "why" I look this way.  I've traveled a long way and some of the roads 
> weren't paved.
> 
> "If you can't take the heat, don't tickle the dragon."
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> [email protected].
> For more options, visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
> 

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

Reply via email to