Since this comes up so many times, I thought I'd share an experience
Javier and I had with his GL1200. I found this link
http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/Carb-cleaning-GL1000.htm and we
gave it a try, while the bike actually ran worse afterward by the time
a tank full of gas went through it the carbs broke free and now the
bike as a ton of power when before it would almost stall when you took
off. Here is a link to the Yamaha carb cleaner PN ACC-CARBC-LE-NR, and
there is enough in a bottle to do at least a dozen bikes.
http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-ACC-CARBC-LE-NR.html You
can't mix it in the fuel like seafoam because it will destroy rubber
parts but it really eats up the crud, when we emptied the fuel bowls
the liquid that came out looked like coffee.