The angle is important. There should be an alignment arrow on the
lever. the shaft does not have splines where the gap in the lever
slides on. It is possible to get it on wrong with some inattention and
a spread out clamp, but I think you'd notice. Be sure the axle is
adjusted "square"" or exactly the same on both sides w/ the proper
slack in the chain. I like to adjust the chain slack with a riders
weight actually on the bike, but that's me. Then be sure the round
pivot in the small lever the rod rides in is not cocked, check the rod
on the lever end, be sure the spring is on right, take the lever off
and clean up the pivot and inside the lever, when it dropped down when
free, it may have picked up enough contaminant to gum up the works. I
like to lube such pivots w/ moly or waterproof marine grease. And
don't forget the problem could be in the backing plate where the brake
cam goes thru the backing plate. I'd hope this was cleaned and lubed
when shoes went in, but you know....take a good look there.