They dont actually say WHY the farmer would ride the horse on the left; but the
rest makes sense.
In mining operations in the States, I've heard that the big huge dump trucks
drive on the opposite side (left) for safety reasons. The driver's cab is in
the "normal" spot (left of the vehicle) so if they bump into another mining
truck, only the front right of the truck will get hit, keeping the driver safe.