Anyone thinking about buying a used Vulcan should read this :

Before buying a pre 2000 Vulcan know that they had a recall because
they have plastic oil gears, and are known to go out at around 25,000
miles. Years 2000 and newer are exempt. So, ask before you buy, for a
repair slip stating that the gears have been replaced with steel ones,
or be ready to do the work yourself at some point. Go to Vulcan forum
online and ask around. I was wondering why so many Vulcan's come up
for sale before 25,000 miles, and came up with this. When asked if the
plastic oil gears (or POG's as refereed to by anyone dealing with this
repair) had been replaced, I got clueless replies, or chewed out for
knocking their listing, which was not the case. Kawasaki Vulcan's are
amazing bikes, and maintained will last over 100,000+ miles. Just be
aware of the plastic oil gears pre 2000. If the dealer or owner cant
show you the repair slip, it probably has not been done and should be
checked out.

I got this from a craigslist add
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcd/3115615626.html