Thought I'd share a story from about a month ago since we've been talking about
clutches lately.
I had planned a 70-mile round trip ride, but stopped about 20 miles in for
water and sunglasses. The bike "mysteriously" stalled at the gas station. When
I came out, I realized that my clutch had basically stopped working. I had
always heard that you can ride without so I aimed the bike downhill and started
her up in first gear (squeezing the clutch lever) and rode home.
It wasn't too bad, just needed to boot the shift lever real solid and also roll
through stop signs, but I made it.
I figured that the master cylinder had gone, so I took it off the bike and
opened it up. I examined the seals very carefully but couldn't find any nicks
or scratches in the them. All I found was some crud in the bore which I cleaned
out very carefully.
I figured "what the heck" and reassembled everything and bled the system (which
took a while). Low and behold, the "crud" was preventing a good seal and I had
a working clutch!
I've gone about 800 miles since, so I know I fixed it :)