In contrast to others on this group, I don't use the kill switch. It would be
too easy to forget to also turn the key off and to return to a dead battery
drained by the headlight. Not that it's never been used. When I first joined my
rider club, I returned from lunch with the group to find a dead bike. Turned
over but didn't fire. Of course, everyone else was mounted up, ready to go.  I
panicked, of course, until one guy walked casually to my bike, and flipped the
kill button on, as everyone else guffawed. It was a little trick they play on
new members.
Haven't used it since, though. On my own bike, that is.

Jay S
92 NH750
South Florida