Thanks for the info and tips!  I'll probably open up the clutch and check
things out.

My Clymer manual says clutch removal requires a Honda locknut wrench and
clutch center holder.  A couple other sites suggest skipping the center
holder and holding the clutch in place either by putting the bike in gear
or using a strap wrench.  Any reason not to go with that instead?

Also, the manual makes a big deal about "unstaking" the clutch center
locknut, lest one damage the mainshaft threads.  However, it provides zero
detail on how to unstake the locknut, and the diagram and photos don't
really help either.  Any suggestions on what tools I'll need handy for this?

Thanks again.

Cheers,
-ntd