Dear Nighthawkers,

After a long wait on an order from Partzilla (guess that's why they're
cheap), I was finally ready to open up the clutch -- until I saw a puddle
of gas on the pavement and a quick drip coming from between the center
carbs.  So, clutch repair day became carb repair day.  I'd noticed a much
smaller gas leak earlier and tightening/replacing some hose clamps had
seemed to fix it.  Guess not...

So today, I pulled off the airbox and carb.  Getting the airbox out felt
like a Chinese ring game.  The joint between the airbox housing and the
carb boots looked pretty bad (pic attached), so I slathered some Hondabond
HT around the
seam.  Currently waiting on that to cure.  Probably would have been better
to use a black sealant (Hondbond's a nice gray color). It's mostly under
the side covers though, so not too bad.

Inside the carbs, nothing looked obviously wrong.  Service records I got
with the bike show a carb rebuild last year.  Float bowl gaskets looked OK,
though they seemed a bit large for the groove they fit in.  Is that normal?
 Float action had no resistance.  Needles looked clean.  On the T-joint for
the fuel line between the middle two carbs, the gaskets looked a little
flat.  I can also rotate the T-joint about 10 degrees, which seems odd.
 That seemed to be where the fuel was dripping from, so maybe that's the
culprit?  I would think that those gaskets would have been replaced in the
previous carb rebuild, but who really knows...

Guess I'll put everything back together and see if it was just a mis-seated
gasket.  If the leak persists, maybe I'll try a new gasket set.  And I
still need to see about the clutch...

This is an increasingly inauspicious start with the 750.  My old 250 was
nearly indestructible -- until an Accord set us in their sights.  Wondering
when that fabled Honda reliability's gonna show up on the new machine.  Ah
well, at least I've got an excuse to turn a wrench.

Cheers,
-ntd

<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-m2MWB-xDSSs/U5P2jwEdbrI/AAAAAAAAABE/mVGQ9pPqxVg/s1600/IMG_20140607_185716.jpg>