I'm going to break my own rule of never posting anything online after 2+
beers. I've got tears steaming down my face after watching this movie. It
has never been a way of life for me, either. That wasn't an option since I
spent most of my life in Japanese apartments. Still, I can't but think that
my family would be less dysfunctional if I had lived in California (or
similar) and been able to raise my kids on motorcycles like the kids in the
movie..

A bit of background from northern Ohio. My mechanical wizard neighbor built
us kids a minibike out of spare parts when we were young. I remember it had
a washing machine pulley for a seat that hurt my butt. In 1964, my cousin
bought a Honda 50 and stayed at our house for a week and let me take it
down the road. In 1967,my brother bought a Super 90. I wrote in my diary,
"I hit 55 mph today." In early high school, I bought a Honda 160  scrambler
with paper route money and my father made my push it back to the owner in
defeat. So when I graduated after my pauper college years, the first thing
I bought was  a CB550K. After moving to  Japan, i rode my trusty Suzuki 250
all over Kanto. Back in the US after 23 years, I bought a 1978 CB550K,
After coming to my senses and realizing that a 30-year-old motorcycle was
not my future, I bought Ol' Yeller  as a sit-up, more modern replacement
for my first love. Ol' Yeller, now with 40K+ miles on it, is still a champ,
and I will ride it to Seattle and back this July if I don't buy something
else.

I have been a total failure at passing on a love of motorcycles to my
kids.  This, I regret. I used to ride them around the apartment complex
parking lot when they were kids in Japan, but that was it. This was a
beautiful movie for me that captured some aspects that I have experienced
and others that I wish I had. I'm leaving a week from today on a motorcycle
trip across Spain and Portugal. That part is great, but I can't help but
think that my family might be in better shape if taking them out to the
hills on dirt bikes had been part of their upbringing.

My bad. OK, I promise I will never post anything drunk again.