I put a wider than stock rear tire on the 83' 550 and learned a couple
things. Yeah, it looked nice and cleared the drive shaft fine, on days of
average temperature, tire pressure and load.
But when it got hot, or the tire pressure was too high (or too low) or I
actually rode two up, it would rub.
It does not take too much to make the clearances go away. AND THEN WHEN IT
DOES it starts to rub slightly and then the problem accelerates
dramatically until you are smelling hot rubber.
All-in-all just a little bit more trouble than any perceived aesthetics or
performance value.
Once again, Honda did it right the first time.

If you have a chain then I suppose the rub pattern would look irregular,
maybe like that.