Judging from the photo, it looks like you could add a spacer of some sort,
maybe a piece of wood, between the stanchion and the backrest at the top
(where the two bolts screw into the backrest) then reassemble with longer
bolts.

Just a thought...and probly pretty fiddly getting the measurements just
right.