I joined the PC800 Yahoo group and "posted" this, but it never showed up.
Maybe it's held because I'm a new member. Anyway, I'll post it here, but it
isn't about a NH.

I took a Sunday ride on my ’90 PC800 before I left for Croatia. Stopped at
a gas station and the battery was so weak that I was lucky to have someone
give me a push start. I made it home, but I was praying all the way it
would have enough spark.

I was hoping the battery was bad, but Advance Auto Parts told me it was
good.

Did a search of the archives on the PC800 group and on Google. Got some
diagnostics. Bought a decent VOM and rolled up my sleeves. Stator? R/R?

Got the battery halfway pulled out of the bike so that I could see the +
terminal. Cold voltage-OK. Voltage with ignition on-OK. Start bike, rev to
3–4K for that check and I see sparks coming from the + terminal. OMG, shut
off the bike.

Why the &%# is there a prong on the + battery terminal connector that
sticks out past the edge of the battery? It poked out from the red
protector and evidently touched the frame. I wasn’t aware that it was
there.

I moved the battery so that it no longer touched the frame and breathed a
sigh of relief that I got it shut off in time.  Restarted the bike, or went
to, heard a snap or pop, and the bike went black. Figured OK, so I blew a
fuse.

Checked all fuses (the ones in the fuse box on the left side and the main
one on the solenoid, if that = “all”) with a VOM. All are fine. Changed the
main 30V with a new one just to be sure. Bike remains as dead as if it had
no battery at all.

Other than loading it on a trailer and taking it to a shop, can anyone tell
me how to begin to troubleshoot this thing? If a fuse is not blown, what
did I most likely damage?

What is my best course of action for tracking down what I did.

Once I get it so it lights up again, I can start trying to figure out why
it isn’t charging the battery… Any advice welcome.