Allen posted a really good buyer's guide a while back that I know I saved,
but I can't find it on my hard disk now. A quick search of the postings on
this list should bring it up, though.

There are also pages and pages of videos on this topic on YouTube.

One quick one that I see missing is to tell the owner of the bike not to
start it before you get there. Then the first thing you do when you arrive
is feel the pipes. If they are not stone cold, drive away.