Great advice.  She rode a Rebel 250 in her MSF class and we both agree the
engine size is perfect because of her confidence level and unwillingness to
ride on highways, etc but the bike was just too small for her.   She is
pretty tall at 5 foot 10 (I am 6 foot 4.)

She rides my klr that has a 650 but only half the horse power of the
Nighthawk and can handle it well.   We are 32 and just looking to cruise
around the burbs together.

Just to clarify - small meaning engine displacement, correct?

Thanks for the advice!