Spent most of the morning buffing out the valve cover for the 84 CB650sc.
Sooo shiny. Cleaned all my mating surfaces, applied the appropriate amount
of Hondabond HT, laid in the gasket and positioned the cover. Double
checked the torque specs for the 22 bolts, 14-17 foot pounds. Lets call it
15 to be safe. Made about 10 revolutions crisscross pattern slowly
tightening to the point where I was ready to torque down and "DING"!!! The
corner of the cover cracked...Son of a.... I am undaunted. I still have the
old California cover. I can put that on for engine installation and swap
out to something prettier later. Lets just get her running first. Same
process. Backed the torque off to 14 and "DING"!!!  Same crack, same place.
Asked my bike guy about it and he was kind of stumped. Put a flat edge
across the head and there is a very minute dip on the interior ridges. I
think this may be the culprit. Ordered a replacement cover and gasket
arriving next Tuesday. Figure i'm just going to tighten the bolts to firm
snug, install the engine and sinch it down if it leaks. Maybe when it's hot
it will be a bit more forgiving. Anybody else ever come across this issue?
( end plus are pulled out not forgotten )

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-RUZv5d1q2rY/WsQyo_KlS-I/AAAAAAAAAgw/mYp1hWi4O-gNWqVUpS5sMw09WAzZ-RllACLcBGAs/s1600/crack.jpg>