I couldn't figure out mine for a long time either. Keeping in mind I know
nothing about Mechanics and I was thinking "Needs brake fluid, add brake
fluid" as about the extent of my knowledge.

I filled the reservoir and pumped, and pumped, and pumped, and pumped. And
I got little perturbations in the fluid, presumably as a valve bumped
against them, but otherwise nadda. Pumped dozens of times, nothing.

Tried tapping the master cylinder, does that make a difference? Did that do
something? Pump it dozens of more times.

Pump it idly while I try to brainstorm what to try next, just because I'm
fidgety.

Go adjust the bleeder even though it was already open, "Is that jammed? Is
there dried or gummed up crap in there causing it to air lock?" Pick at it
with my fingernail.

Pump it a few more dozen times, nadda.

Maybe I should poke something into the bleeder just to doublecheck that
there's not something gummed up just inside?

Pumped and pumped, dozens of times.

Was that an air bubble?

Pump a few more dozen times.

Nope, must've just been the way I let go of the handle that time.

Am I doing this right? Maybe I should shake the lines and flex them all the
way down?

Pump and pump and pump.

Maybe just open one bleeder, not both, so any pressure goes to one side?

Pump pump pump.

The other side?

Pump pump pump.

Has the level dropped or did I just lose fluid?

Pump pump pump pump dozens of more times.

Nope, not changing.

Scroll through service manual on my tablet with one hand while pumping with
the other hand.

Well I can't figure this out. Put fluid in, fluid should come out. What am
I doing wrong?

Pump pump pump pump.

HEY WHAT'S THAT SOUND?

Pump.

Squirt.

Pump.

Squirt.

Hurray!

So umm, best I can figure, it either just took an hour or two to slowly
work it's way past the crud after being dry for so long, or I eventually
blasted some of the crap off, or, who knows, but after probably 3000 pumps
it suddenly started flowing.

Can't necessarily suggest it as a method, for all I know I could've sat
there pumping it 10,000 times and it still not made a difference, but,
eventually it just started flowing.