Since we're speculating about what goes on in the minds of previous owners
(aka who-the-hell-knows, in some cases!), here's my guess:

There was a modification called the "Hodge Mod" named after its "inventor"
aimed at improving the sound of the 90s
series Nighthawk mufflers.  It involved drilling out the rivets in the rear
baffle plates, removing the baffle assembly as a unit and drilling a series
of holes in the internal pipe.  There seemed to be several pet theories
that the size, number and location of the holes made differences in the
sound, allowing it to be "tuned" to the owner's preference.

There were several You Tube variations of the process, mostly of
"techniques" for removing the baffles (e.g. vice grips, rebar, pipe
wrenches and various other butchering methods).  The modified baffle
assembly was then replaced and pop-riveted back together.

It was supposed to make the bike sound more Harley-ish, I guess, but wound
up just making a louder Honda.  The idea has fallen out of favor.  Don't
see it referred to much anymore.

Your PO probly saw one of those clips and thought to try it, but gave up
after drilling that hole.

So, if yours has only one small hole, you probably dodged a bullet (!)