Reading the manual more carefully (section 13 for those following along in
the 700sc)...

It looks like there are heavy springs on either end of the driveshaft, and,
it says to use the rear shock compressor tool to compress them on the
driveshaft. I don't have that, though I suppose a couple 2x4s with holes in
them and some pipe clamps would work in a pinch.

I don't quite get what the compressing tool does. Yeah it compresses them
obviously, but then at some point the springs have to be locked into place
with something, and I can't just slide that in while they're compressed
unless I overcompress it right past the entire clamping mechanism.

Some pics...

Back axle on the right, towards transmission on the left. All this is at
the wheel side.

​

Same orientation but shows both ends of the driveshaft.

Reverse orientation, now you're looking at the U-joint side.

Confusingly, it never shows both springs on the driveshaft at the same
time. I'm not 100% certain I'm not reading it wrong and that there's only 1.

And when I feel at the U-Joint end for a groove to lock the circlip, there
is none.

And I have this shouldered-washer (a washer that cups the end of the spring
a bit)... ya figure that goes next to the circlip, or on the opposite end
of the spring?

So confused and this is my first automotive project ever so, no experience
to draw on. Anyone ever pulled a driveshaft before?