Dear Hawkies,

proudly owning an US 83‘ Nighthawk 650 for many years now, I much
appreciate Paul's valuable site leading me to this group.
Currently I‘m also fighting the famous charging issues and struggle with a
misleading information in the Clymer CB550 & 650 Nighthawk 1983-1985
chapters 4 and 7 about the permanent magnetic rotor which states the
following.

Chapter 4 Engine - page 101:
"Rotor Testing - the rotos are permanently magnetized and cannot be tested
except by replacement with rotors known to be good. Rotors can lose
magnetism from old age or a sharp blow. If defektive, the rotors must be
replaced; they cannot be remagnetized. The inner and outer rotors are
available only as a set."

Chapter 7 Electrical System - page 186 (older Clymer print only, not found
in my print):
"Rotor Testing - The alternator has 2 rotors that are permanently
magnetized and cannot be tested except by replacement with a rotor known to
be good. A rotor can lose magnetism from old age or a sharp blow. If
defektive, the rotors must be replaced; they cannot be remagnetized."

I guess this informaiton was false copied from the preceding 82 CB650SC or
similar model. There used to be a link to ‚Revised '83-85 Clymer Chapter 7
for '83-'85 CB650SC Charging System‘ which is broken and obsolete. Is there
any other source to confirm my assumption?

Another controverse discussion is often seen to when and what the charging
starts ("it doesn't charge below 2500 vs. it must charge at IDLE already").
Well, the Table 1 at the end of chapter 7 states an negative amperage
output up to 1500 rpm, approximately 0 amp at 2000-2100 rpm (83) resp.
1700-1800 rpm (84-on) and +2 amperage output beginning at 2500 rpm.
This seems to match my experience when wasting a lot of time on traffic
jams and lights before surprising me with an empty sucked battery on next
engine start in the mid of nowhere *slurp*.

Any comments to confirm or deny my throughts and assumptions are welcome :-)

Thank you and take care,
Frank