John:

Nikon USA will not service grey market gear, *in or out* of warranty.
Once the mail-order company's warranty expires, you're on your own.  If
something goes wrong with your equipment, you'll have to find a third
party that can fix it.  Based on my recent experience with a grey market
20mm AF-D that died just after B&H's warranty expired, I will *never*
buy grey market again.

Mark A. Painter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]