Hello all!

I recently picked up a Sigma 1.4x EX APO teleconverter, for use with my
Sigma 400 mm f/5.6 APM Macro lens and F70/N70 body. I've got a couple of
questions that I am hoping fellow Nikonauts can help out with.

(1) I understand that I lose one stop of light with the 1.4 attached, but
the camera's TTL metering will compensate for it the various autoexposure
modes.  However, on the camera's LCD display, I do not get the effective
aperture, i.e. when I set the lens to 5.6, I see 5.6 on the display instead
of 8 and so on.  Does this mean that when I am using manual exposure, I have
to add a stop?  For instance, if by setting the lens aperture to 5.6 and
shutter speed to 1/400, the meter shows OK exposure, would I actually have
to go ahead and halve the shutter speed, to 1/200, since the camera thinks
the aperture is 5.6 when it is really 8?

(2) There is a slight "give" between the lens and the TC.  In truth, I
noticed this earlier, with a not-a-super-tight-fit between the lens and body
(you could shift the lens slightly by rotating it), though not quite as
pronounced as it is now.  Is this normal for a relatively big lens such as
this? I suppose what I should do about this is to take the lens back to the
store (I don't think it is the camera at fault, since my other lenses fit
very snugly/securely, though none of the lenses are as big as the 400 mm),
but I am reluctant to do this right away since I mail-ordered the lens from
B&H in New York (FANTASTIC establishment, by the way), and I live on the
other side of the planet in Malaysia!  The lens is new (less then a couple
of weeks old) so it cannot be wear and tear, and I am hoping that this is a
normal or not too significant situation, and thus would like to hear from
other owners of this lens out there.

Any advice, opinions, comments, or miracle-cures are welcome.

-- jeet