But its suggested price seems outrageous, like the price of the F100. We all
know Nikon may be using a marketing policy of "skimming", selling the new
pearls first for a very high price to place these products in the market
among the top of its line, and lower down the prices as the selling
increases.
<<<<<<<<<<

Hmmm. What you term "skimming" I'd call "supply-and-demand." Pricing what
the market will bear. A fair and common practice that tends to keep good
companies in business.

You can bet that for awhile Nikon will sell every F100 they roll off the
assembly line. So what's wrong with recouping the development costs? And
making enough money for the research-and-development department to,
perhaps, develop a few more great cameras and lenses and accessories?

When the market will no longer support an intially higher price, Nikon will
be obligated to drop the price or stop the assembly line. Just like they'll
drop the price of the N90s to move the last of those off the shelves, lest
they be burdened with warehouses full of unsold cameras.

Those who pay the initally higher price can be the first on their block
with the shiny new tool. And if it's a tool they need -- like most who
intially paid $2800 for a now $1900 F5 -- it's an investment that likely
will pay for itself. Those who can wait will have an opportunity for a
comparative bargain.

> *sigh*  Slowly but surely they're chipping away at the backward
> compatibility.  What happened to no planned obsolesence?

Yes, Nikon is now having to renew its line to incorporate the new
technologies that the competition and the market demands, but this has the
drawback of the end of backward compatibility.

I suspect that Nikon is guilty of nothing more than lacking the foresight
in 1988 to incorporate software necessary to run the technology of 1998.
Fact is, any AF-S lens will mount on and meter with and manually focus on
any N8008. Try to do that with a Canon FD lens on an EOS.

And I'd bet that in 2008 lenses will do things that the F100's 1998
software will not be able to handle. Because the research-and-development
department can't spend the funds to develop what that will be until they
start seeing the profits from those F100s.

Larry