I'm going to start using Nikon equipment and I'm trying to find out
information on some of the commonly available bodies.  I probably won't be
using any non-AI lenses and will focus insted on newer equipment.

How well does the older Nikon FM handle the newest lenses?

Will it accept the newer AF lenses within the limits imposed by the camera
itself?  All I'm wondering is whether the old FM can take the newer lenses?
I will likely buy a manual focus body first and then add an AF SLR later.
As such I am interested in getting a camera that can accept AF lenses.  In
addition I am interested in the FM series camera because of their all
mechanical capabilities.

I would like to be able to consider as many options as possable.  I'm aware
that the FM-2 can take these lenses but if by chance I find a great deal
somewhere I would consider the older original FM as well. It's my
understanding that these were great cameras and well made. I would
appreciate any feedback folks would care to share while I make my purchase
decision.

By the by I'm switching from the Minolta MD system.  I have already chosen
Nikon over Canon and others because of superior compatibility and
availability of various system components, as well as the overall reputation
for quality Nikon enjoys.

Thanks
Curt