Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 22:13:14 -0800
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Sauro)
Subject: Flashing in the Dark [v04.n183/23]
Message: 23

One little known (at least to me until this weekend) quirk of the F5/SB28 combo is
that the active autofocus (i.e. the red grid light emitted by the SB28 upon which the
F5 will focus in low light AF) will not function unless you are using the center
autofocus recticle.  It was driving me nuts as to
why I could not get it to work taking pictures the other evening, so I pulled out the
SB28 manual, and sure enough, you cannot do active AF with any of the four outer
focusing recticles.  This may be what you were experiencing.  RJB.

I'm a new F5 owner and I mostly use a Nikkor AF-D 24-120 zoom with a
SB-28 flash.

The combo is driving me nuts!  When I try to grab a quick candid shot,
half the time the flash doesn't fire, or the camera won't shoot.  It's
as if the F5 is checking dozens of factors, communicating back and forth
with the flash, and if everything isn't perfect, it doesn't fire.

SNIP!

I'm about to throw the whole shebang in Lake Tahoe!