Bob,

I want to do some night shots, including doing star patterns which
require up to several hours of exposure with a new F70.  I have learned
not to do this with a F3 as the battery will be exhausted, so I use the
F2 for this sort of photography.

A couple questions

    What has been your experience using the shutter release "button" for
long exposures > 1 sec

First, you should have the camera on a tripod, so I will assume that is
what you are doing.  IMHO, exposures that approach one second should NOT be
triggered with the shutter button.  Use the self timer if you dont have a
remote cord.  Remember to cover the viewfinder to keep stray light out so
the exposure is not affected (in P, A, or S mode - not an issue in M).

I have used long exposres up to 20-25 seconds with no measureable effect on
battery life.  However, star trails that you mention will require exposures
of several hours.  If you start with fresh batteries, the shutter should
still close when you are done, but I would changes the batteries shortly
thereafter.  If the batteries go dead before the shutter is closed, you
will have to change them.  The solenoids wont close the shutter or return
the mirror without power.  Put a lens cap on before you change the
batteries to avoid
stray light from ruining the image as you play with the camera.

    Does the Remote Cord MC-12B have a "lock" on it so it can be left
unattended during VERY long exposures

Yes it does.

Good luck.

Jim Korczak