> Also, I've just read two of Ansel Adams books on the Zone System and would
> like to talk - off line - to anyone who can help me extrapolate this to
> the pictures that I take.  Specifically, I'd like to:
>
> 1.  scan a photograph or negative into my computer (not a problem)
> 2.  convert the RGB values to % gray (I do not understand how to do this.)

You can convert it to gray levels in most paint software.

> 3.  convert the % gray to zones (I think I understand how to do this, but
> I'd like some confirmation.)

You should posterize the picture to 10 gray levels. Not sure if the
latter is possible (usually, you have to give the number of bits: 4 bits
give 16 levels...)

> 4.  print out the pictures in zones of gray for further study. (Not sure
> that monitor RGB and printer density relate to %gray in the same manner.)

Well, the zones cover a ten stop range going from pure black to pure
white (in theory). This is supposed to be the range b&w films cover.
Modern films and colour negatives may have a wider range even. The
problem is that scanners, screens and printers all limit the usable
range. Consequently, it is difficult to use the zone system in a
scientific way with a system you do not master. What would you like to
do, in fact?

Nicolas