There is a difference: 28mm2.8 AIS has Close range Correction CRC. The
minimal focus distance is 0.2m and not 0.3m like the AI, though you can easily
see the difference (as well as the other differences between AI and AIS). The
AIS should give you better pics on closse distances.

I wanted to buy the AIS 28mm2.8, but plan to buy the faster 2.0 now (which
has CRC too.)
Hope this helps.
Have a look at Roland Vink pages home.ait.ac.nz/staff/rvink/nikon.html
Best wishes
Thomas
Thomas Buro ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.stud.uni-wuppertal.de/~ua0273/homepage.html
Have you ever had problems with shipping goods? Yes: Tell me
maybe we can do something about improving future transport systems.
Have a look on the webpage http://www.stud.uni-wuppertal.de/~ua0273/shipperc.html
And are you interested in a scenario analysis of future Transport systems?
Each participant can get the results at the end of the process!
http://www.stud.uni-wuppertal.de/~ua0273/quest1.html