I found this information on a canadian nikon web site and I thought it may
be of any help to Nikoneers. Enjoy it! Looks like a good travel/all around
piece of glass is coming soon!!! All data is nikon official:

Nikon  is pleased to announce the expansion of its lens lineup with the
introduction of the new, compact and lightweight, high performance
AF28-105mm f3.5-4.5D IF lens. This lens provides superior optical
performance with the Nikon original Internal Focusing (IF) system and a
hybrid aspherical lens element.
The AF Nikkor 28-105mm f3.5-4.5D IF lens allows macro focusing within a
range of 50mm to 105mm meaning that composition can be framed by zooming
during shooting. The maximum reproduction ratio is 1:2 (at macro setting,
105mm focal length, 0.22m focusing distance). It has a nine-blade rounded
diaphragm opening which makes this lens especially effective for close-ups
and portraits.

The AF Zoom Nikkor 28-105mm f3.5-4.5D IF lens will be available at the end
of January, 1999 at Authorized Nikon Canada dealers and is expected to
retail for less than $650.00 (canadian dollars).

NIKON AF Zoom-Nikkor 28-105mm f3.5-4.5D IF Lens

SPECIFICATIONS:

Focal Length: 28mm to 105mm
Maximum aperture: f/3.5 to f/4.5
Lens construction: 16 elements in 12 groups
Picture angle: 74° - 23° 20'
Focus distance: 0.5m (at macro setting: 0.22m) to infinity Maximum
reproduction ratio: ˝ (at macro)
Focal length scale: 28mm, 35mm, 50mm 70mm, 85mm, 105mm
Zoom control: via zoom ring
Aperture scale: f/3.5 to f/22
Attachment size: 62mm
Dimensions: Approx. 73mm dia. X 81.5mm