> >Was the launch of the F100 hurried because of us nikoneers clamoring
> >for a model to go against canonís EOS-3?
>
> Nikon rush - you must be kidding. Although, the brochure, in my
opinion,
> may have been put together at a break-neck pace. A friend shot a
photo for
> the brochure just a few weeks before it went to print. It was such a
short
> amount of time that I thought he was doing it for another Nikon
product.

--snip--

I work for a company that makes data communications equipment. We are
in a similar situation to Nikon in regards to 'product development
cycles".

It takes an incredibly long time to make things like the F100
brochure. Products have to be photographed months before the product
is ready. Here's why:

1. Product is often not finalized until just days or weeks before
production. This is particularly true with devices containing software
(like modern cameras).

In addition, products must be tested and approved for safety and RFI
(yes, even electronic cameras emit Radio Frequency Interference) and
this takes time, since prototypes have to be sent out to testing labs
at least a month or two before production begins. And different
countries have different requirements, some very stringent.

(Just testing some products to work in certain countries costs as much
as $5000 (US) per product! Then add data backs and the problems
escalate!)

2. The brochure has to be designed. A major brochure like the F100
brochure takes a week or two to design. After the brochure is
designed, it has to be approved by marketing, sales, support,
engineering, management, etc. All of this takes time. The brochure
goes back to the designer for modifications. He spends a couple of
days redesigning it, and back it goes for approvals again (see,
marketing often changes what engineering changed the first time, etc.)

After this brochure cycle happens several times, then it has to be
translated into foreign languages. This also takes time, particularly
with technical equipment (like an advanced camera).  And the number of
translations is much larger than you think. For example, to get a well
done translation into Spanish, you have to specify Spanish for Spain
or Spanish for the Americas. Same with Portuguese.

And of course, the translations have to be checked and approved. Best
done by having a second translator translate the translation back into
the native language. More time for these re-translations and more
approvals.

(This is part of the reason that products are often introduced
country-by-country, or region-by-region, to give marketing the time to
prepare their collateral. This is doubly true is the marketing 'focus'
or message is going to be different country-by-country.)

The photos have to be made several months before the products ship, so
the designer has them to design with. Yet, there is often no 'real'
product at this point. So, a mockup is often photographed. I have done
some of this photography myself.

I realize this is a little long and a little off topic, but thought
you would like to know...

Colin