Mark Parsons, all:

This is getting off-topic, so this will be my last post on the list
about this subject.

Regarding the debate about medium format lenses and 35mm bodies...

Mark argued that medium format lenses by definition must have the same
or better resolution than 35mm lenses, or else photographs made with
them would be less sharp; results show that they are sharper.

This is not true.

Why?

1)  Medium-format images use larger negatives.  This results in less
enlargement to get the same print size as 35mm film.  As a result,
film grain plays a much lesser role in image quality.  I think you
would all agree that shots on a really good quality, low-grain film
are sharper than shots on a faster, high-grain film.  (I know some
people think that images shot on, say, Tri-X seem sharper than images
on slower films, but examine the image under magnification.  The
sharpness of grain can give the illusion of image sharpness, but if
you examine the image carefully, you will notice that the image
sharpness [e.g. really fine detail] is not as good.)

2)  Medium-format images, because of the lesser enlargement, do not
require the same degree of lens sharpness as 35mm lenses because the
images are magnified less.

Let us assume that Joe uses his Nikon FM2 and 50/1.8 AI-S to shoot an
image.  Let us assume that his brother Bob uses his Pentax 67 with
80mm f/2.8 image to shoot the same image.  (Perspective with each lens
on its native film format is roughly the same.)

Each makes an 11x14" print from his negative.  Joe's 35mm negative is
2.4x3.6cm or 8.64 square centimetres; Bob's is 6x7 cm or 42 square
centimetres.  Notice that Bob's negative is almost 5x (4.86) larger
than Bob's.

I realize that cropping will play a role because the 35mm negative
does not enlarge perfectly to 11x14", but let us assume that the image
is printed in a format that prints the entire negative onto the
identical print area.  In reality, the 35mm print would be slightly
cropped and enlarged even more than this example, making my point even
more dramatic.

So ... to make that 11x14" print, which in metric is 27.94x35.56 cm or
993.54 square centimetres, requires:
 - 35mm negative - 115 x enlargement
 - 6x7 negative - 23.65 x enlargement
This results in a 4.86 x difference, just like before.

So ... even if a 35mm lens had double the resolution of the 6x7 lens
(I am assuming resolution would be proportional to the square of the
magnification; if my assumption is wrong, then this could be 4x
resolution difference and not 2 and still be true), the 6x7 image
would still be somewhat sharper JUST BASED ON THE LENS QUALITY ALONE,
and totally ignoring the fact that the image is sharper because of
improved film quality due to lesser degrees of enlargement.

Don't believe me?  Try a test and see.  Just remember that if you use
35mm film and 120 film, and use the same emulsion, the 120 film is
going to have higher resolution right off the mark (due to lesser
enlargement) unless you compare a similar area of film.  If you use
the same focal length of lens on both cameras (exact focal length -
e.g. 85mm on the 6x7 and 85mm on the 35), and examine the same, small
piece of detail from each negative, you will be overriding the film
differences and you will see that the 35mm image is sharper.

If you want the logical, instead of mathematical, argument, think of
this:  what's easier to make, a small lens covering only a small image
circle, or a larger one covering a large image circle.  The larger you
make a lens, the larger the pieces of glass become and the harder it
is to make them effectively and accurately.  (This is also part of the
reason why you have 80mm f/2.8 normal lenses on medium format cameras,
and 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 normal lenses on 35mm - it would be extremely
difficult to design a quality lens with an f/1.4 aperture for a medium
format camera.  Of course, it would also cost $2 million :) ... but
that cost is because of the design difficulties.  A 50/1.8 lens for a
35mm camera, new, can cost under $100 US and be an extremely sharp
optic.)

Hopefully somebody here has an archive of Popular Photography issues
and can find that article written a few months ago that discusses this
issue, and then you will all believe me.

Jim