"kp foo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>You wrote to say that medium format lens are half or one-third as sharp
>as 35mm because the medium format being larger do not need such high
>resolution lens. Interesting. First time I have heard of this. Thought
>that medium format lens are just as sharp and because the film format is
>larger (than 35mm) the resolution is much finer. Could you advise on the
>relevant literature or reference material that I could look up. Thanks.

I use a Mamiya 645 sometimes in addition to my Nikon system.  From actual
experience, the prints from the Mamiya negs are much more detailed than
those from the Nikon.  Subtle tones and textures are clear in the Mamiya
photos which I have never seen in any photo taken with in 35mm.  If a medium format
system within my budgetary constraints were available that is as agile
(the new Contax 645 sounds like it meets the agility requirement but not the cost)
as my N90s system is, I would not be using any 35mm camera except maybe
my old Olympus 35RC rangefinder (only for its extremely small size).  Someday, I hope
to be able to afford a viewcamera system and might use large format Nikkors.
I have heard that large format Nikkors have very good contrast.

David Johnson