<I am really irked at the mounting foot. It seems so flimsy I expect it to
certainly
break off eventually. I'd like to see a return to the wrap-around locking metal
collars of older speedlights. Other than that I am perfectly happy with the
SB-28 (if
still confused at some of its myriad capabilities).>

As with the Vivitar 283, this shoe's breakaway design is purposeful. It's
far easier and less expensive to replace the flash's shoe than the top of
your camera's pentaprism. Before I came to B&H, I shot high school and
college sports for many years, and the first time an errant basketball
ripped the foot off my 283, I knew how much better off I was.

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com