Michael wrote:
    > However, a local photo dealer told me recently, that in fact this lens
     >is built by Canon. As I heared this, I couldn't believe, but as I were
     >able to compare the Nikon version to the (very similar!) Canon
     >version, I thought this could be possible.

 Michael

Please do not beleive this sort of rumour.
"Local camera dealers" seem to be the source as many silly rumours which
they state as facts, but end up being just wild guesses not based on any
fact.
 (probably based on rumors from a Canon Rep, they have been telling local
stores here that Nikon purchased ultrasonic technology from Canon, which is
not true!!!!.)
The reason they are simular is they are both Tele zooms of about the same
length and both use silent wave/ultrasonic motors, these common elements
would determine some simularity.

Brian