<snip>
to make a long story short, here's a pricing example from my last
week's
shopping experience:

- - B&W circ polarizer, 72mm, DM 189,- (USD 112,-;  EUR 96,50)
- - same thing named "nikon", 72mm, DM 349,- (USD 206,50; EUR 178,-)

dear mr. nippon kogaku, tokyo, gimme a break!
<snip>

Andreas,

Keep in mind three things:

All Nikkor polar filters are oversized (i.e. the 52mm is actually
60mm) so that it can be used with wide angle lenses with vignetting. I
know of no other manufacturer that does this.

All Nikon filters use brass rings. Brass will not gall and stick in
filter mount on the lens. Brass is more durable than the Aluminum that
some companies use. In addition, Nikon filters free float in the
mount, meaning they will not distort in extreme temperatures. Glued in
filters might, given the different co-efficient of expansion got
Aluminum, brass, and glass.

Lastly, all Nikkor filters are (as fas as I know) multicoated, whereas
some manufacturers either single coat their filters, or do not coat
them at all. Some (like Tiffen) make both product lines (coated and
non-coated).

I'm not saying that Nikon is the best or the most bang for the buck,
but they are good.

Colin