> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:26:51 -0600
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Image stabalisers [v04.n218/10]
>
> >>Does sturdy tripod ring a bell?? It's really neat
> >>'Image Stabilizer' that I use on every shot!
>
> Oh wise one, please advise me how to use my image
> stabalising tripod when shooting from a moving boat, or
> from an airplane or helicopter. Or when I am
> panning. Or when I am shooting in the wind and my
> lens is flapping up and down even though my body is
> bolted to a sturdy tripod. You can use your tripod and
> I'll use my IS lens. I wonder whose images will be sharper?

I've shot Nikon equipment on boats, planes and helicopters
and have done fine without tripods and image stabilizers.
I use a good grip, a solid stance and a refined sense
of timing.

If it's a small boat, I wouldn't bring $2,000+ worth of
equipment into the salt spray to shoot photos.  Instead,
I go on a boat that's among the smoothest ride in the
world and use ISO 200 film.  You can see the results of
Diamond Head at:

http://home1.gte.net/rhashiro/dh-1.JPG

That way, I can take a decent photo with $2,000+ of
Nikon equipment without damage from salt spray, being seasick
or having to compromise on photo equipment.  I believe this
was the 85mm f1.8D.  No need for IS.  I use similar
techniques for taking photos from airplanes and helicopters.
BTW, my photo companion did get airsick on a perfectly fine
scenic helicopter ride and wouldn't have been able to take
a photo even with IS or a P&S.  I still take photos even if
I'm seasick.

And, for the reverse, I do just fine taking handheld 300mm
photos of high speed aircraft or 500mm photos of nationally
televised football games.

http://home1.gte.net/rhashiro/tbirds.htm

The right tool and technique for the job...

During hurricanes, I am in a bomb-proof shelter.  Literally.
I would not be standing outdoors in winds exceeding 65 MPH
and letting my valued Nikon equipment be a target for flying
projectiles.  My car or I could be a target, but not the
photo equipment.

I admit that image stabilization would be valuable for
panning and working in handheld low light situations,
or extremely agressive photo conditions, but I don't
encounter that enough to justify my purchase.  On the
other hand, if magically I could get the photo performance
power of a full function 35mm SLR into a unit the size
of a matchbox that I can take to rock concerts at stadiums
for a reasonable amount of dollars, I can go for that.
I find I go to more concerts than I would have need for
image stabilization...and I use my tripod almost every
month.

The right tool and technique for the job...

Ron Hashiro
Honolulu, HI