First a clarification of flash metering on the F4:
The F4 only uses centered weighted metering for flash exposure.
For fill flash, two modes are supported on the standard finder:
        1. matrix balanced fill flash
        2. centered weighted
The 1) option means that the flash is still metered with centered
weighted metering (TTL - i.e. off the film center weighted). For the
F4, matrix balanced fill-flash means that the ambient light is measured
using the matrix meter, and the flash is metered with the centered
weighted flash meter.
Note that this is different from newer bodies (n70, n90, F5) which
support matrix metering of the flash exposure, as well.
Furthermore, the F4, does not support fill-flash with the spot meter.

Back to your question: the flash meter on the F4 is in the body, as
well as the ambient center weighted and spot meter. Thus, if you use
a different finder, only center weighted fill-flash is supported.

Hope this helps,
Bjorn